Friday, April 18, 2008

What can we do to help a person whos in an abusive relationship, how is it that the person can't seem to leave the relationship?

I have heard about woman across the nation being or becoming victims of an abusive relationship, but never did I think that this situation would hit close to home, especially with a loved one I'm personally close with and love dearly. I have always been interested in this particular topic because in the back of my mind there was a simple question that I was determined to find the answer to."Why do woman of such kind have to face this problem everyday and deal with the arguing and the fighting?" So in fact thats what I'm doing now and thats finding my solution to this question. To start off my quest I had to take time out and asked the one who I am close to about her abusive relationship. Although asking her about it was a bit intimidating because as people would say "Why you being so nosey" or "Stay out of grown folks business," i ignored all that and decided to keep processing with my project.
Lately as I've been preparing myself for what I am about to get into. By doing so I have been watching television shows, reading books by counselors and real-life people involved and also interview many people willing to come forward with their stories/tales. So far from what I have seen was very touching and emotional. I really had to put myself into these people shoes and vision as they tell me what happened? and why it happened? After interviewing, I went and found movies that had similiar events as these stories did and indeed I did find some. Movies like 'What's Love Got To Do With It', 'The Color Purple'.......etc
So coming back to more other questions that I have in store......What is holding them back from leaving?, What fears does this person have, Why should they stay? and last but not least Is there help?

No comments: